While catching crappie is a good deal of fun, most people want to eat what they catch. That means finding the best way or ways to cook crappie, so you can truly enjoy your catch while cutting down on your grocery bill. Here are some popular ways to cook crappie.
Best Ways To Cook Crappie
Pan frying crappie is probably the most popular way to cook fillets made from these fish. The breading used in pan frying adds a little bit of flavor without overpowering the taste of the fish itself. Here is a simple recipe for pan frying crappie.
- 1 Egg
- Tablespoon of water
- 1 ½ to 2 cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a shallow pan or dish mix flour, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- In a separate shallow dish add egg and tablespoon water and beat together.
- Put oil into a skillet and heat
- Dip each fish fillet in the egg mixture and then dredge in the flour mixture
- Pan fry the fish making sure that the fish is cooked until golden on both sides
- Drain on a paper towel and serve with your favorite side dish.
2. Deep Fried Crappie
People in the South tend to love deep fried Crappie, preferring cooking their fillets that way over normal pan frying. Here is a simple way of deep frying crappie.
- 1 pound crappie fillets
- 2 ½ cups drake mix ( made into a batter according to the directions) you can substitute cornmeal fish batter mix for the Drakes mix if you choose.
- 2 Tablespoons Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- Pour oil into deep frying and heat to 350 degrees
- coat fish completely into frying batter
- Gently place fish into the fryer
- Cook until fish batter is golden brown and the fish float in the fryer
Baked Crappie is delicious and easy to make. You only need a few ingredients to make a tasty crappie dish in under 30 minutes.
- 4 to 6 crappie fillets
- ¼ cup melted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A small amount of lemon juice
- Lay the crappie fillets in the bottom of a baking dish.
- Using a pastry brush apply butter to each fish fillet.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Bake uncovered at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes or until the fish easily flakes with a fork.
- Serve with a slice of lemon and your favorite side dish.
4. Grilling Alternative
If you would like to grill instead of bake your crappie, you can use the same the recipe and instead of using a baking dish place each crappie fillet on a piece of oiled aluminum foil, prepare as you would for baking, and wrap the fish and place on a grill heated to about 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grill for about 5 minutes and then open up the foil and finish grilling until fillets are cooked.
Try one or more of these delicious recipes for cooking your crappie.